Painted for the Nymph ArtOrder Challenge. I was pretty intrigued by Mr. Schindehette’s breakdown of the various variations of nymphs across different landscapes in his research of the subject matter for the presentation of the challenge. I looked over all the different types and thought, “what’s my stake in this? what’s the story I will tell?” The encouragement from Jon to “take this challenge and turn it into something useful” for my portfolio had me considering the Warcraft version of dryads.
My heart leapt within me when I saw that Jeremy Cranford was going to be one of the judges. My brain defaulted to Warcraft mode and I put the project in the back of my mind for a while. After two/three weeks of failing to produce something for Udon’s Warcraft Tribute book (for lack of good composition and other technical challenges that left me unsatisfied with the images I had in progress), I decided to just set that aside and refocus on the Art Order challenge.
Over a boring Army Reserve drill weekend, I did a quick sketch of an idea that I had in mind, and an accompanying thumbnail value study. It’s amazing how having a good composition and value plan can make or break an image. Getting home, I went into the virtual reality of Azeroth to take screenshots of dryads and the forests of Kalimdor for my reference, and the work in progress can be seen in the previous blog entry. For the dryads in this painting, I mixed and matched design elements from the existing in-game models of dryads (older dryad game models had barely anything, while the newer ones had too much stuff) as to establish some hierarchy among the three figures.
Here’s a progress shot of my work for the current Art Order Challenge: Nymphs. One of the subcategories of nymphs are dryads, for woodland areas. When I saw that Jeremy Cranford was going to be one of the judges, I knew exactly what I wanted to do for this challenge: the dryads of the Ashenvale Forest. In other words, World of Warcraft themed
fan art (and this falls in accordance with Jon Schindehette’s portfolio building guide; to do the work I want to be doing).
Funny thing, I got further on this painting in progress in the course of 2 days, while the two artworks I planned for the Warcraft Tribute book by Udon Crew took me two to three weeks to get to half of this point. Amazing how much time you can save with a good composition thumbnail. Those two other artworks aren’t going to be finished by submission deadline for the Warcraft Tribute, but that means I’ll actually be able to share them since I won’t submit them. I might go back to try to finish later on with better planning, since the themes and subject matters of those fan-arts are quite close to my heavy metal heart.
I apologize for not having been as regular on the updates. I will do my best to resolve this.
In charismatic Christiandom, preachers and teachers will sometimes remind the congregation that instead of asking God for more power infusions from the Holy Spirit, they ought to take an account of how many gifts and how much power has already been given (and to then properly apply those) rather than to take what’s already been received for granted. In my art education, I have made the same mistake, of underestimating how much I have already received from my teachers, and instead of trusting God’s faith in me and using what I’ve been given, I had placed my faith in the art education system. This isn’t to say that art education is bad, but I had made an idol out of the system, believing that if I could just complete x amount of courses or programs, I would be able to get a job from it.
Taking my tiny portfolio of 3 whole pieces to Illuxcon was a good test of faith and skill, rewarded with good feedback and encouragement from many artists much better than I. The above images display a fan piece I began back in August in anticipation for the release of Mists of Pandaria, but was delayed in finishing due to school (TAD). Jeremy Wilson impressed on me the importance of having stuff to show around for feedback at Illuxcon, so I ditched all my classes to grind it out (maybe not the best decision from the educational standpoint, but I needed to do it). The top image shows what I thought was the finished product when I brought it to Illuxcon, and the bottom image is the finished version after applying a lot of the feedback I received at Illuxcon.
Illuxcon itself was a wonderful event, and I do not even have the words right now to describe all the cool and awesome things that went on, and the cool and awesome people that I got to meet and befriend. Anyways, I’m going to get back to my drawing so as to apply everything that I’ve learned from the portfolio critiques. Thanks for stopping by.
revisions (7/19): changed the hand/arm posing
Some more portfolio fan art. RIP old wrath spell animation 2004-2012.
Alternate titles included “It ain’t easy bein’ green” and “Lean Green Killin’ Machine” but such titles also refer to orcs.
I was doing some 2v2 arena with my friend, and I was out of ideas on what to paint, so he said, “draw us pwnin’ some noobs.” Later on we were doing BGs and he swapped characters, from his fire mage to his feral druid, and his druid happened to have a T7 mog on. My initial thumbnail/ideations featured the Dreamwalker druid with some feral spell effects that weren’t green, but as I started painting, I decided to change it, and the old wrath spell would fit really well.